Skip to main content

31Days to Keep a Tender Heart: October 11

 
I was having a hard time this spring and my mom encouraged me to read her copy of One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.
It was a beautiful and stirring book. Ann Voskamp tells stories of her life as a farmer’s wife, she paints pictures in your mind of what her experiences are like and she chooses sophisticated words to express her ideas. She also shares her pain with authenticity. That actually caught my attention more than the quality of the writing. I thought: here is a woman who has really suffered. But, she isn’t hard and bitter. She is tender hearted and gentle.
Ann Voskamp has a phrase “All is grace” and she attempts to live it. She opens wide her heart and her life to receive everything that God offers her, the blessings and the ugly-beautiful of pain and grief, with joy.
I was struggling with despair over my singleness at the time that my mom handed me that book. I think that she knew how much I needed the joy of the LORD to be my strength. And, I really did. I still do. The natural tendency of my heart is to harden to the aches and pains of this human experience. Giving into the hardness keeps me safe from further hurt, but it also protects me from the gentle rush of joy, the quiet filling of love and the pressing upward of hope. These are fruits of the Spirit that I want to make welcome in my heart and feelings that I enjoy experiencing.
I decided to start counting gifts in June and to write about them in my blog. I wanted to count to 1000 gifts like Ann did because I believe that she is correct and the practice of gratitude really does reduce feelings of depression and despair. I have counted 514 gifts so far and I have noticed a significant shift in my heart.
My perspective is different. I am looking for where God has hidden blessings especially for me instead of focusing on what’s not working for me. I count gifts when I’m driving in the car, when I’m running in the forest preserve, and as I’m drifting off to sleep at night. I get excited to tell my family and friends about the different gifts that I am discovering in my daily life. When I’m having a sad, angry or scared moment, I chose to count gifts until the feeling fades and a more comfortable feeling of connection with God and peace takes its place.
I have been surprised and pleased by how well this actually works. The practice of gratitude and counting gifts doesn’t ignore or minimize my pain. In fact, I think that the process of choosing to receive every single moment and circumstance as a gift from God for me affirms my painful feelings in a meaningful way. It gives them great purpose as I feel pain and decide to move toward my God with praise in response. My hurt feelings and disappointments are becoming the fuel for my worship. And, I know that my worship is real because I’m not doing it out of obligation, guilt or fear. In those moments, I am worshipping out of my intense need and desire for God. I know that His nearness is for my good and I need good when I feel pain. I am desperate for His comforting word of love and His fullness of joy which can surpass my injury. I feel better on most days and I recover more quickly on my challenging days.
I am becoming more convinced every day that praising God through the practice of gratitude is a joy-inducing habit.
Still Counting Gifts:
·         #515: Mom made us breakfast and strong coffee
·         #516: Leaning on God when I feel unable
·         #517: Receiving grace when I was at the wrong place and ended up arriving late by the time I had located the correct place
·         #518: Curling up on my office couch for a nap
·         #519: How God keeps giving me things to write about during these 31 days
·         #520: The arrival of my new and exciting Arbonne products

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me....

Praying is what I do

Isn't it encouraging when God reminds you of who you are and what it is that He has called you to do?! When I was at Fire in the Night, I prayed a lot and I loved it. I realized that I really have been created as an intercessor and that is my primary mandate. Now, I am also really gifted in counseling and helping people, but that's second. Praying is what I do first. This is what I was made for: to encounter God through prayer. I cry out to Him and He answers. I quiet myself and listen to Him speak to me too. My time at IHOP-KC affirmed this prayer calling and started me down the path to living as a committed intercessor in a HOP. It's been almost a year since I did Fire in the Night and I have started reversing my mandates again. You see, I had wrongly made counseling my primary mandate way back in graduate school. And, I had continued this way for years until I got completely burnt out. The snatches of time that I would get in the prayer room when I was home from Chi...

Unfairly blessed

I have been feeling ridiculously blessed in the past week. I actually broke down when I was talking with my sister one night because it felt unfair that God is blessing me so extravagantly while other people I know and love are hard at work counting blessings because they are tempted to think that they aren't really receiving any at all. One of the things that I love about counting blessings is that it helps each of us to recognize just how blessed we really are. But, it is still painful when certain people seem to have everything come so easily to them and I think that I am continually going without. It's also hard when I have identified myself an unfairly unblessed person for so long and only recently, I have been trying to make the change to seeing myself as richly blessed. It feels awkward and scary. While it's true that my biggest unanswered prayer of finding a godly man to share my life with still hasn't been fulfilled, I have become that person who has things com...