Skip to main content

31Days to Keep a Tender Heart: October 11

 
I was having a hard time this spring and my mom encouraged me to read her copy of One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp.
It was a beautiful and stirring book. Ann Voskamp tells stories of her life as a farmer’s wife, she paints pictures in your mind of what her experiences are like and she chooses sophisticated words to express her ideas. She also shares her pain with authenticity. That actually caught my attention more than the quality of the writing. I thought: here is a woman who has really suffered. But, she isn’t hard and bitter. She is tender hearted and gentle.
Ann Voskamp has a phrase “All is grace” and she attempts to live it. She opens wide her heart and her life to receive everything that God offers her, the blessings and the ugly-beautiful of pain and grief, with joy.
I was struggling with despair over my singleness at the time that my mom handed me that book. I think that she knew how much I needed the joy of the LORD to be my strength. And, I really did. I still do. The natural tendency of my heart is to harden to the aches and pains of this human experience. Giving into the hardness keeps me safe from further hurt, but it also protects me from the gentle rush of joy, the quiet filling of love and the pressing upward of hope. These are fruits of the Spirit that I want to make welcome in my heart and feelings that I enjoy experiencing.
I decided to start counting gifts in June and to write about them in my blog. I wanted to count to 1000 gifts like Ann did because I believe that she is correct and the practice of gratitude really does reduce feelings of depression and despair. I have counted 514 gifts so far and I have noticed a significant shift in my heart.
My perspective is different. I am looking for where God has hidden blessings especially for me instead of focusing on what’s not working for me. I count gifts when I’m driving in the car, when I’m running in the forest preserve, and as I’m drifting off to sleep at night. I get excited to tell my family and friends about the different gifts that I am discovering in my daily life. When I’m having a sad, angry or scared moment, I chose to count gifts until the feeling fades and a more comfortable feeling of connection with God and peace takes its place.
I have been surprised and pleased by how well this actually works. The practice of gratitude and counting gifts doesn’t ignore or minimize my pain. In fact, I think that the process of choosing to receive every single moment and circumstance as a gift from God for me affirms my painful feelings in a meaningful way. It gives them great purpose as I feel pain and decide to move toward my God with praise in response. My hurt feelings and disappointments are becoming the fuel for my worship. And, I know that my worship is real because I’m not doing it out of obligation, guilt or fear. In those moments, I am worshipping out of my intense need and desire for God. I know that His nearness is for my good and I need good when I feel pain. I am desperate for His comforting word of love and His fullness of joy which can surpass my injury. I feel better on most days and I recover more quickly on my challenging days.
I am becoming more convinced every day that praising God through the practice of gratitude is a joy-inducing habit.
Still Counting Gifts:
·         #515: Mom made us breakfast and strong coffee
·         #516: Leaning on God when I feel unable
·         #517: Receiving grace when I was at the wrong place and ended up arriving late by the time I had located the correct place
·         #518: Curling up on my office couch for a nap
·         #519: How God keeps giving me things to write about during these 31 days
·         #520: The arrival of my new and exciting Arbonne products

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves. This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank. I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice. While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition. I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC. Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. Th

How do I like being married?

People keep asking me how I like being married. I get it. I’m adjusting to a major life transition. People are excited for me and this is an easy way for them to enter into my joy. They ask this question and I start gushing. I say that I love it. It’s wonderful. Yes, we’re settling in well, there in the basement of my parents house. I may mention that Ben has been hanging things in our room and brought furniture out of storage to make our space more like home. If the conversation lasts long enough and becomes more intimate, I may even tell them that some of my favorite things are when we pray together in the morning and he makes me coffee to help me wake up. I like when we fall asleep with hands and toes just barely touching; in our space, but still nearby. I like calling him my husband and hearing him say that I’m his wife. Being married has been wonderfully different and also surprisingly the same. My life at work, for example, feels exactly like it did before I w

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me.