- When my service engine soon light went off and stayed off
- Sunshine that was so bright that I couldn't see and my eyes were watering
- Watching the new neighbor go out back with a broom in order to take care of a snake
- Kids riding bicycles as fast as they can
June 10: A gift at 8, at 12, and at 2
- Waking up early to eat breakfast with my family and celebrate Karyn's birthday! We ate waffles and bacon and drank coffee. Delicious and fun!
- At 12, we were floating down the Kiswaukee River on tubes. The sun was warm, the river current moving and we were a glob of tubes all attached to each other.
- At 2, we were still on the river. At that point, we had encountered our first shallow areas where you can get grounded on rocks. Or worse, your tube goes on without you and you are forced to scramble over rocks, against the current. But, all of this was really funny to watch and experience. The highlight for everyone else, at my expense, was when I crashed into a tree branch, flipped out of my tube and then broke my flip flops.
This really was a wonderful weekend. We had a 24-hour burn from Friday night to Saturday. I was able to spend some refreshing time there on both Friday night and again on Saturday afternoon. It always feels so challenging to commit to going. To suspend other, more entertaining weekend options and go to the House of Prayer. But, once I'm there, I love it. I reconnect with God, ask Him to wash away the grime of life and enjoy His satisfying presence. I know that He is the true source of life, but it's so easy to forget that outside of the House of Prayer, when everything else starts vying for my attention. I am so grateful that I am a part of a House of Prayer and that I have regular time there to remember who I really am and what it is that I want to spend my life doing.
And, Karyn's birthday was such a treat of a day. It was a celebration of her with lots of fun. It was a day of rest, but peppered with silliness and work trying to navigate tubes on the river. I am so thankful for my wonderful sister and I hope that this next year is a blessing to her.