Skip to main content

June 9: 3 gifts that made you really smile

  • When my service engine soon light went off and stayed off
  • Sunshine that was so bright that I couldn't see and my eyes were watering
  • Watching the new neighbor go out back with a broom in order to take care of a snake
  • Kids riding bicycles as fast as they can

June 10: A gift at 8, at 12, and at 2

  • Waking up early to eat breakfast with my family and celebrate Karyn's birthday! We ate waffles and bacon and drank coffee. Delicious and fun!
  • At 12, we were floating down the Kiswaukee River on tubes. The sun was warm, the river current moving and we were a glob of tubes all attached to each other.
  • At 2, we were still on the river. At that point, we had encountered our first shallow areas where you can get grounded on rocks. Or worse, your tube goes on without you and you are forced to scramble over rocks, against the current. But, all of this was really funny to watch and experience. The highlight for everyone else, at my expense, was when I crashed into a tree branch, flipped out of my tube and then broke my flip flops.

This really was a wonderful weekend. We had a 24-hour burn from Friday night to Saturday. I was able to spend some refreshing time there on both Friday night and again on Saturday afternoon. It always feels so challenging to commit to going. To suspend other, more entertaining weekend options and go to the House of Prayer. But, once I'm there, I love it. I reconnect with God, ask Him to wash away the grime of life and enjoy His satisfying presence. I know that He is the true source of life, but it's so easy to forget that outside of the House of Prayer, when everything else starts vying for my attention. I am so grateful that I am a part of a House of Prayer and that I have regular time there to remember who I really am and what it is that I want to spend my life doing.

And, Karyn's birthday was such a treat of a day. It was a celebration of her with lots of fun. It was a day of rest, but peppered with silliness and work trying to navigate tubes on the river. I am so thankful for my wonderful sister and I hope that this next year is a blessing to her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me....

Heart Revival

Hey you guys, It's been almost two years since my last post. What?! I know some of you probably forgot that I even used to do this, but I hope that you're as excited as I am that I'm coming back to blogging. It's a new season and God has been stirring up lots of creativity and courage in me recently. I'm happy to tell you all about it. In case you missed it, I became a mom to sweet Elias last summer. In fact, he is about to turn 1 year old on Monday and I can't believe it! Guys, he is absolutely the sweetest, calmest and most delightful baby you can ever imagine and I still tear up sometimes in gratitude when I remember that he is my little boy. One of my life dreams to be a stay-at-home mama has been partially fulfilled in that I only work three days a week during the school year. I work 2 1/2 days at RCS Elementary School and it is an amazing place. Shortly after I got there, they put me in charge of the two chapel services that happen each week. Gu...
Dear Me at 16, First, take a deep breath and try to relax. You're not receiving this letter because you are bad or in trouble. To the contrary, I'm writing to you because I care about you and I know that it's hard for you to let others be caring toward you. You feel exposed and vulnerable, wondering if the person will stumble across all those imperfections that you work so hard to hide. You feel afraid of how they might judge you if they knew how needy, fragile and broken you actually are behind your put-together facade. I want to let you know that it's not your fault that you are this way. At least, it's not entirely your fault. Your desire to encourage and help other people is a wonderful, God-given part of your personality that influences you to put yourself in the position of helper. And this is an important part of how God has made you because it relates to the high calling that He has placed on your life to partner with Him in restoring people. Being t...