Skip to main content

3 gifts painted, 3 gifts full and 3 gifts smelled

June 11: 3 gifts painted

  • My favorite gift painted hangs in my office. It is a picture that was painted by my maternal grandmother Helen McCarthy and I received it as a final gift from her after her death. Grandmems painted this picture of her studio space and it specifically focuses on her potter's wheel. I love this picture because of its' warm colors and the subject of pieces of clay in process. This is similar to how I think of my work as a counselor. Every one of my clients is a unique, piece of God's art that is in process. Every day that I work, I sit down before Him and ask Him to take my hands in His and move them to shape and impact the person before me in just the right way. I hang this picture as a reminder to me that this is His work and that I am only a partner to the master potter and as an encouragement to my clients that they are in process and there is One who oversees each step and carries them to completion.
  • I have several small painted gifts that I have received from children who I have worked with over the years. A picture of a tiger, abstract and colorful lines on the diagonal, across the canvas and portraits of me. Each one is a precious painted gift to me.

June 12: 3 gifts full

  • A full Tuesday schedule: I saw 7 clients in one day!
  • My heart felt full when I prayed for the youth in this region. It was toward the end of the Tuesday night watch at R2HOP and God reminded me to pray for them. I prayed from Ephesians 3 and my heart filled up with love and compassion as I prayed. God shared some of His heart for the youth with me and I felt full of desire for them to know His marvelous love for them and that they would be rooted and grounded in that love.
  • I was full of laughter when I talked with my best friend from college, Sara. We took turns talking and listening. I have known Sara since the fall of 1999. She has become a witness of my life and the transformation that God has been working in me. I so appreciate her insight and observations about me and my life and I am so honored that she invites me to play the same role in her life. I am equally excited as I see the beautiful work that God has been doing in her and I eagerly anticipate what the future holds for both of us!

June 13: 3 gifts smelled

  • Fresh brewed coffee made by mom just for me!
  • Zoo animals at the Madison Zoo where we celebrated Kingston's first birthday. I love animals, but not always their smells.
  • The smell of Baby Magic when I hug and snuggle Ava, Noah and Kingston

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves. This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank. I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice. While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition. I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC. Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. Th

How do I like being married?

People keep asking me how I like being married. I get it. I’m adjusting to a major life transition. People are excited for me and this is an easy way for them to enter into my joy. They ask this question and I start gushing. I say that I love it. It’s wonderful. Yes, we’re settling in well, there in the basement of my parents house. I may mention that Ben has been hanging things in our room and brought furniture out of storage to make our space more like home. If the conversation lasts long enough and becomes more intimate, I may even tell them that some of my favorite things are when we pray together in the morning and he makes me coffee to help me wake up. I like when we fall asleep with hands and toes just barely touching; in our space, but still nearby. I like calling him my husband and hearing him say that I’m his wife. Being married has been wonderfully different and also surprisingly the same. My life at work, for example, feels exactly like it did before I w

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me.