Well, I'm taking the dare. I'm jumping in late, but I want to start counting 1000 gifts in 2012. I have printed off the June guide sheet. Here goes:
June 1: 3 gifts orange. Wow, orange is not a color I pay a lot of attention to. Interesting…
- Cupcakes with orange buttercream frosting at Ava's end of the year show
- Orange flowers in bouquets at the grocery store
- Dried apricots packed in the snack bag for our trip to Ohio
- Riding to Ohio, (in my car!) with dad and Karyn, to pick up Patrick
- Playing 3 to 13 with my family and laughing together
- Realizing we don't even own My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding after planning to watch it all week long
- Being able to share ideas with my family, over coffee, in the backyard, full of sunshine
- Talking about all of the area's in our lives where God has to intervene or we will be lost
- Encouraging others where they feel hopeless and being encouraged where I feel hopeless
- He delights in me just as I am
- I am known and enjoyed and allowed to know and enjoy Him in return
- Life that is full and enough
- Peace that passes understanding when I am afraid that I'm not doing the "right thing" with my clients and the reassuring knowledge that He equips me for every good work. The comfort in remembering that His strength is perfected in my weakness and His blood covers all of my failures.
- Hope that I really can be full of joy even if my prayers go unanswered and my circumstances never change
- Love that makes me feel chosen, accepted and important
- Debts that I cannot repay. They help me remember that I am dependent on God's provision for me.
- Unanswered prayers. They squeeze my heart in a way that only Christ can comfort. Receiving that comfort helps me connect more with Him.
- Feelings of disappointment that entice me to surrender all hope. They remind me that the choice is always mine: hope or disappointment. My painful experiences try to convince me that certain things are not safe to hope for and I should give up on them. God says that those whose hope is in the LORD will never be put to shame and my hope is safe in Him.
- Learning how to rejoice in all things and receive all as grace with Ann Voskamp in One Thousand Gifts
- Discovering what it means to be God's love slave with James Garrett in The Doulos Principle
- Being reminded of what is mine and what is not mine in Boundaries with Dr.'s Cloud and Townsend
- Our new neighbor brought over pastries and donuts this morning. They were a very tasty gift, but empty of much nutritional value. This is probably one of my favorite gifts empty!
- An empty schedule this morning allowed me to go running and an empty schedule in the late afternoon allowed me to watch Project Runway with my mom
- I had empty feelings early this morning and I cried out to the LORD. He heard my cry and He comforted me. I think maybe this was a special gift empty.
Coming up…gifts that make you smile, gifts unexpected and unwanted, gifts painted and gifts in the WORD.