Skip to main content

Gifts, answered and unanswered prayers

June 25: 3 gifts today in someone older than you

  • #79: My mom's wisdom and receiving it over iced passion tea, sitting in sunshine
  • #80: Incredible faithfulness to the LORD over decades
  • #81: A steady confidence in God's love and goodness despite difficult circumstances

June 26: 3 gifts in fabric

  • #82: my TOMS!
  • #83: my jean jacket keeping me warm when the air conditioning in my office makes it way too cold
  • #84: falling asleep under a quilt that was skillfully and carefully made

June 27: 3 gifts framed by a frame

  • #85: my LCPC which allows me to do what I love for a living
  • #86: my Make Way Partners sponsored child, Abraham, who smiles out at me from his picture when I pray for him every morning
  • #87: French pictures and prints that excite my imagination

I have been thinking a lot about answered and unanswered prayers in the past week. I am grateful to say that God has been answering almost all of my work-related prayers in record time. I terminated with three clients in the past few weeks and found that I had a lot of nervous feelings about whether or not I would be able to gain new clients and continue building my practice as we move deeper into the summer. Traditionally, people feel much better during the summer and counseling referrals tend to be a lot lower. I had no sooner shared these feelings when I had a new client start last week and two more this week! I have also been praying a lot for God to increase my collections in the past month. And, it's been happening! Thank you, God. Unfortunately, my personal prayers have not had quite the same response and I have been feeling discouraged.

I recently started playing a game with God where I listen to KLOVE on my way to and from work and request that He play certain songs that I enjoy. It has been incredible to see how He will answer these requests at exactly the right moment. Just when I am praying about something that has been unanswered for a long time, one of these songs will come on and it almost takes my breath away. I know that having a song I like come on the radio is a small thing, but to me it is God saying, "I see you. I hear you. I move at the sound of your voice." This has happened a few different times when I was literally in the midst of crying and pleading with God to answer one prayer or another. I felt so loved. Even though my unanswered prayer still seemed unanswered, I felt comforted that God is attentive to me and that He cares about my feelings and my desires.

I have a few unanswered prayers that are feeling heavy again. I seem to have seasons where they are quieter and it is easy for me to enjoy my life and to trust God for my future. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, those unfulfilled longings come back up to the surface of my awareness and I feel the lack of their fulfillment. This is always hard for me and I feel frustrated that I cannot manage my feelings differently and get to the point where I no longer struggle with doubting God's goodness toward me and His desire to give me the desires of my heart. Why can't I just believe what the Bible tells me is true about God? Why do I want to believe what my experiences seem to say instead of Him?

There is a bitter-sweetness to those prayers that are fulfilled in the midst of the weight of the longing for those that are yet to be. I hear God's still, small, gentle and loving voice say, "I hear and answer every prayer. Trust me when you don't like the answer. Connect with me when you are feeling unfulfilled. I want to satisfy you and give you the desires of your heart. Just keep coming back to me." Somehow this calms and settles me in a way that I cannot settle myself. In these moments I like to imagine that I wrap my arms around God and lean into His strength. I trust in Him to see me through any feeling that comes my way and to provide everything that I need. The answered prayers help me to keep trusting Him for those that are still unanswered. They stir my hope and my faith for what I cannot see and help me to feel more confident that my God is exactly who He says He is and that I can trust Him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves. This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank. I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice. While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition. I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC. Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. Th

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me.

How do I like being married?

People keep asking me how I like being married. I get it. I’m adjusting to a major life transition. People are excited for me and this is an easy way for them to enter into my joy. They ask this question and I start gushing. I say that I love it. It’s wonderful. Yes, we’re settling in well, there in the basement of my parents house. I may mention that Ben has been hanging things in our room and brought furniture out of storage to make our space more like home. If the conversation lasts long enough and becomes more intimate, I may even tell them that some of my favorite things are when we pray together in the morning and he makes me coffee to help me wake up. I like when we fall asleep with hands and toes just barely touching; in our space, but still nearby. I like calling him my husband and hearing him say that I’m his wife. Being married has been wonderfully different and also surprisingly the same. My life at work, for example, feels exactly like it did before I w