Skip to main content

More gifts

September 20:

  • #411: Singing patriotic songs at Rotary club
  • #412: Enjoying a nice finish to a much more relaxed work week
  • #413: Dinner with the Pearcy ladies and brainstorming future fun things that we can do to continue connecting with one another
  • #414: Being able to use Google maps on my phone when I'm lost
  • #415: Hanging out with Laura even though I was so tired that I almost fell asleep while talking

September 21:

  • #416: A nice continental breakfast
  • #417: Attending a professional seminar
  • #418: Learning helpful and practical tools
  • #419: Realizing that the Holy Spirit really does lead me into effective counseling strategies
  • #420: Driving into Chicago with tons of traffic and not feeling frustrated because I was in no hurry
  • #421: Revisiting some Chicago favorites like Sweet Mandy B's, Julius Meinl and Mythos Restaurant
  • #422: Dinner, deep conversation and lots of laughter with Miss Lilita

September 22:

  • #423: Running with Karyn and Lily
  • #424: Laughing with Karyn as we struggle through Jillian Michael's 30 day shred workout video
  • #425: Eating frosted sugar cookies and watching The Biggest Loser to celebrate our good workout
  • #426: Singing with Mackenzie and how worship can be like Heaven coming down
  • #427: Praying corporately
  • #428: Late night movie with my parents

September 23:

  • #429: Catching up on reading my favorite blogs: www.aholyexperience.com, www.chattingatthesky.com, Exodus Cry and Kimberly Smith of Make Way Partners
  • #430: Visiting the MacDonald family farm
  • #431: Watching 3 dogs jump in and out of the pond in hot pursuit of a big stick
  • #432: Telling funny stories
  • #433: Making baked potatoes for dinner
  • #434: Watching a movie with mom and laughing so hard I almost cried

September 24:

  • #435: My first run with frost on the ground and my breath coming out in visible puffs
  • #436: Time with God out in the sunroom with my coffee and the prayer room web stream
  • #437: Praying for my clients
  • #438: Attending mom's Bible study and feeling fiercely proud of what a Bible scholar she really is
  • #439: Finding Lily asleep on my bed at the end of the day

September 25

  • #440: Scrambling 72 eggs in a big metal bowl at the soup kitchen
  • #441: Coffee and quiet time in my office to start the day
  • #442: Celebrating the incredible work of transformation that God is doing in so many of my clients' lives
  • #443: Reading Hiding from Love and being so challenged and encouraged, personally and professionally
  • #444: Leaving work in the middle of the day to get with God at the Rock River House of Prayer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves. This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank. I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice. While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition. I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC. Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. Th

How do I like being married?

People keep asking me how I like being married. I get it. I’m adjusting to a major life transition. People are excited for me and this is an easy way for them to enter into my joy. They ask this question and I start gushing. I say that I love it. It’s wonderful. Yes, we’re settling in well, there in the basement of my parents house. I may mention that Ben has been hanging things in our room and brought furniture out of storage to make our space more like home. If the conversation lasts long enough and becomes more intimate, I may even tell them that some of my favorite things are when we pray together in the morning and he makes me coffee to help me wake up. I like when we fall asleep with hands and toes just barely touching; in our space, but still nearby. I like calling him my husband and hearing him say that I’m his wife. Being married has been wonderfully different and also surprisingly the same. My life at work, for example, feels exactly like it did before I w

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me.