Skip to main content

All those life details

It's been a busy week and I haven't done any writing or counting. I'm realizing that I need to be more intentional at scheduling my time outside of work so that I can accomplish everything I want to. I think that this is a good problem because it means that I am spending enough time at work that I don't have such a surplus of free time that I can fritter it away and everything will still get done. It's a problem because I prefer the big picture to working out the details. When I have free time, I like to talk with my family and friends, read, head to Magic Waters for a swim, cook, watch something or play a game. I have noticed that I rarely, if ever, do things like return emails, pay bills, run errands, or clean my room when I don't plan them in advance. I just don't choose to do those sorts of things spontaneously. Even important things like studying my Bible, praying for family members by name, and writing down the things that God is talking to me about don't happen unless I intentionally choose to do them instead of something else.

I feel a loving rebuke from the LORD about how I am using my time. He gives it to me so generously and trusts me to steward it well. And, I think that I do, for the most part. But, some things have been neglected in recent weeks and that needs to stop. So, right here and right now, I choose to respond. I choose to plan for these important activities that nurture my intimacy with Jesus and strengthen my faith. I choose to make time to grow in His love and to be faithful in everything that He asks me to do. I choose to keep writing and counting gifts because it supports all of this goodness and fixes my eyes on God.

July 19: 3 gifts baked

  • I had dinner at Bistronomic in Chicago with two of my favorite, former co-workers and all of my baked gifts appeared during that meal. If you have the chance to check it out, I think that you will agree that it is quite a gift to enjoy a meal in this restaurant. (Un grand merci à mon ami Carine pour un bon diner et une belle soirée!)
    • #180: Fresh baguette with butter
    • #181: Tuna tartare with avocado in a little jar that looked like it came straight from the beach
    • #182: Braised lamb on a bed of couscous with little apple slices and cilantro on top
    • #183: A black and white crème brulé

July 20: A gift in light, dark, shadow

  • #184: A French breakfast on the patio, bathed in morning light
  • #185: A gift in dark at the end of the day when the heat is broken and quiet comes
  • #186: Finally finding a table under the awning at the City Market so we could rest while we enjoyed listening to Starlight Radio

July 21: 3 gifts of story

  • #187: Ava reporting on something that happened to her with great enthusiasm and bright eyes
  • #188: Fiction that makes you excited to get away with your book and escape to another world
  • #189: When other people share how God has spoken to them

July 22: 3 gifts understated

  • #190: Time with family, especially the girls
  • #191: Making a new recipe and hoping it turns out well
  • #192: Closing my eyes for just a few minutes in the middle of the day
  • #193: Having and gaining sister's-in-law

July 23: A gift high, low, far away

  • #194: Big fluffy, white clouds up in the sky
  • #195: Carpet deep enough to sink your toes into
  • #196: Countries and cities waiting to be explored

July 24: 3 gifts of sand

  • #197: The sandbox in the backyard that all the kids love to play in
  • #198: My favorite is the white sand that covers the beaches in and around Santa Rosa Beach, FL. Dreaming of going there again!
  • #199: Sand that weighs down the base of the umbrella on the deck, holding it down when the storm comes in hard and tries to blow everything away

July 25: 3 gifts of endings

  • #200: Sprinting for 30 seconds at the end of my run
  • #201:Finishing an engaging book that grabbed my imagination and has been tempting me to lose sleep in recent days
  • #202: When I'm finally done getting ready and can go

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves. This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank. I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice. While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition. I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC. Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. Th

How do I like being married?

People keep asking me how I like being married. I get it. I’m adjusting to a major life transition. People are excited for me and this is an easy way for them to enter into my joy. They ask this question and I start gushing. I say that I love it. It’s wonderful. Yes, we’re settling in well, there in the basement of my parents house. I may mention that Ben has been hanging things in our room and brought furniture out of storage to make our space more like home. If the conversation lasts long enough and becomes more intimate, I may even tell them that some of my favorite things are when we pray together in the morning and he makes me coffee to help me wake up. I like when we fall asleep with hands and toes just barely touching; in our space, but still nearby. I like calling him my husband and hearing him say that I’m his wife. Being married has been wonderfully different and also surprisingly the same. My life at work, for example, feels exactly like it did before I w

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me.