Skip to main content

2 books that have been a gift to me this week


A Million Little Ways, by Emily P. Freeman, is one that has been working on me for a few weeks now. The main premise is that we are all made to create art because we are made in God's image. This isn't necessarily art as we tend to think of it. It is more the idea that who we are and all that we do is art in the unique expression of who God has made us to be.

This book has been coaxing me into exploring art that I had previously ruled out, for various reasons. I decided to start piano lessons after a decade away so that I can finally learn how to play worship music by chords. I am starting to think that the extra time I have been finding in my schedule because I am seeing fewer clients might be a gift from God so that I can read, think and write. God seems to be offering me space to rediscover abandoned dreams and cultivate my creative interests. I'm not your typical art kid and my creativity has always felt more internal than expressive, but I'm want to allow my understanding of my strength, gifts and calling to expand as I connect with God and learn more about who He has created me to be.

The chapter I finished this week explored Psalm 46:10 in a new way for me. "Fail and know that I am God." Emily suggests that it may be in our failures where we find opportunities to know God more. Failures are usually devastating for me; even small ones. So the idea that my failure is actually a gift so that I can experience God more intimately was so encouraging and reassuring.

Becoming Myself, by Staci Eldredge, was given to me just this week. I started reading it when I had a cancellation and have been startled by how it has already impacted me. Twice, I have felt completely undone and found myself crying. This book is about transformation and how it is always rooted in the incredible love of God. We change from the inside out as we encounter His love.

Chapter 2 is about our life stories and how we understand them. Staci offers simple questions to facilitate reflection throughout the book. Rule-follower that I am, I force myself to consider each one. As a result, I have discovered that a core fear I have is that I am not enjoyable. I know that people enjoy me, but I fear that it is because of what I do and not who I am. God is exposing this lie and affirming that He and others enjoy me, as myself, and not for anything external that I offer.

Ben has referred to these as "sister-books" because of how God is using them, in tandem, to connect with me and bless my heart. I am a little apprehensive because God is doing yet another deep and somewhat painful work in me. But, I am mostly excited by how He is lavishing His love on me and healing my heart so that I can connect more with Him, which gives me such joy and peace.

How is God blessing you this week?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me....

Heart Revival

Hey you guys, It's been almost two years since my last post. What?! I know some of you probably forgot that I even used to do this, but I hope that you're as excited as I am that I'm coming back to blogging. It's a new season and God has been stirring up lots of creativity and courage in me recently. I'm happy to tell you all about it. In case you missed it, I became a mom to sweet Elias last summer. In fact, he is about to turn 1 year old on Monday and I can't believe it! Guys, he is absolutely the sweetest, calmest and most delightful baby you can ever imagine and I still tear up sometimes in gratitude when I remember that he is my little boy. One of my life dreams to be a stay-at-home mama has been partially fulfilled in that I only work three days a week during the school year. I work 2 1/2 days at RCS Elementary School and it is an amazing place. Shortly after I got there, they put me in charge of the two chapel services that happen each week. Gu...
Dear Me at 16, First, take a deep breath and try to relax. You're not receiving this letter because you are bad or in trouble. To the contrary, I'm writing to you because I care about you and I know that it's hard for you to let others be caring toward you. You feel exposed and vulnerable, wondering if the person will stumble across all those imperfections that you work so hard to hide. You feel afraid of how they might judge you if they knew how needy, fragile and broken you actually are behind your put-together facade. I want to let you know that it's not your fault that you are this way. At least, it's not entirely your fault. Your desire to encourage and help other people is a wonderful, God-given part of your personality that influences you to put yourself in the position of helper. And this is an important part of how God has made you because it relates to the high calling that He has placed on your life to partner with Him in restoring people. Being t...