Skip to main content

Things I'm learning in June


I just realized that it’s been three weeks since I posted on my blog. It’s not because I don’t have anything that I’m learning or wanting to share. It’s because my life is crazy busy right now.
I have tried to dedicate Thursday nights to spending time at the House of Prayer and writing for my blog, but it didn’t work that way very well in June. The Thursday before last, I was at a really fun picnic with my new office community. Last Thursday night, I was at home spending time with my family as we anticipated my sister’s wedding this past weekend. This Thursday night, I hope to be at the house of prayer, but I will be just days away from moving my office, so I can’t really be sure.
I’m going to put as many of my thoughts from the past three weeks into this post as I can, but I know that they won’t all fit, so I will probably post a part 2 on Thursday.
One of my favorite God lessons recently: I don’t need to hoard Starburst candy. (Or anything else, really.) I’ve been feeling more financial strain recently. I’m seeing fewer clients on a weekly basis, which is normal during the beautiful summer months. But, this means that I’m generating less income at the exact moment that I’m discovering extra expenses in wedding planning and moving offices. I had noticed that I was starting to feel stingy about my savings account and obsessive about how much money I should be hanging on to in order to cover all of those extra expenses. I was having conversation with God about all of this, but not really shifting in my feelings or thinking.
I had to refill my candy jar one day and emptied the last of the Starburst candies into the jar. I prefer the pink and red candies and these tend to get eaten quickly, so I took two pink Starburst and two red Starburst to hide in my desk. I wanted to make sure that I had some of my favorites to eat later. My very next client greeted me with a surprise. She remembered how much I liked the pink and red ones and had purchased me a whole bag of only red and pink Starburst.
It was such a clear message. Jody, you don’t need to hoard. Not your Starburst and not your savings. I am your provider and I know what you need, even before you ask. Trust me. Ask for what you want and what you need. Let me meet your needs with my generosity instead of trying to meet them in your own strength.
I returned the hidden Starburst to the jar. I abandoned obsessive thinking about my savings account. I am thanking God for His provision in my life and trusting Him to take care of me.
When God teaches me through my clients. I’m not really any better than my clients are. I struggle with so many of the things that they struggle with. My anxiety gets unmanageable and I wake up in the middle of the night with racing thoughts. I have a hard time coping well with challenging circumstances and change and find that I don’t always choose healthy coping skills like running, sleeping and eating well, investing in time with God. Sometimes, I choose to eat a huge amount of ice cream, whine and complain and pretend that I’m just “verbally processing” or judge someone else so that I can feel better.
One of my favorite parts of what I do is listening to a client while also listening to God. He is so loving and compassionate. God always knows when to listen and when to speak and what to say. The more that I partner with Him, the more effective my work is. Sometimes, I find that I am also ministered to. He speaks to my clients and they share what He is telling them. It touches me. Especially when I have a similar struggle. I hear the words of life that God offers them and I get to receive them too.
Weddings really are better when God writes the story. Karyn and Dave’s wedding was absolutely beautiful. Theirs is a story of God’s love and goodness and their wedding reflected this. His captivating beauty shone right out of Karyn and His pursuing and restoring love emanated from Dave. God’s promise of giving us the desires of our hearts when we choose to delight in Him was fulfilled. Years of unanswered prayers were answered and there was great rejoicing. I could feel God’s great delight over their marriage and I think that they are preaching the gospel in the way that they love each other.
It makes me excited for my own wedding day. It makes me want to encourage the people that I know and love who are still waiting for their love stories to be written. I want to hug them and ask them to hang on a little bit longer because our God really does all things well; just look at our lives. I also want to encourage people who are already married, but don’t feel this way about their marriage. It’s not too late. Our God can do the impossible. He can restore your marriage and make it like His.
Stay tuned for part two…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves. This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank. I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice. While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition. I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC. Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. Th

How do I like being married?

People keep asking me how I like being married. I get it. I’m adjusting to a major life transition. People are excited for me and this is an easy way for them to enter into my joy. They ask this question and I start gushing. I say that I love it. It’s wonderful. Yes, we’re settling in well, there in the basement of my parents house. I may mention that Ben has been hanging things in our room and brought furniture out of storage to make our space more like home. If the conversation lasts long enough and becomes more intimate, I may even tell them that some of my favorite things are when we pray together in the morning and he makes me coffee to help me wake up. I like when we fall asleep with hands and toes just barely touching; in our space, but still nearby. I like calling him my husband and hearing him say that I’m his wife. Being married has been wonderfully different and also surprisingly the same. My life at work, for example, feels exactly like it did before I w

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me.