Skip to main content

Part 2: Transition Happening Here


 
New seasons are exploding in my life.  
I’ve got blue paint under my finger nails from preparing the new office and only two more days left in the old one. I have stacks of paper that will help me change my business address with all the insurance networks and folders crammed with all the pink progress notes that are coming with me. I know that I will have a chair, my desk and a loveseat to welcome my first client at 8:15 AM on Monday morning, but I’m not sure if anything else will be set up by then. I hope that all of my clients will be able to make it across the street and remember to call my new business number instead of the old one. I’m really excited about this next season in my professional life, but worried that I have loose ends that aren’t tied up.
92 days until I marry Ben and we still have to print invitations, finalize our menu and find somewhere to live. We’re praying that the weather will be sunny and beautiful because I really don’t want to spend $1500 just to have a tent and it will be tight if it rains and we have to cram all of our guests into the greenhouse off the barn. Ben and I are having long conversations and considering such things as whether or not to do a first look, when the groom sees the bride before the wedding, if we want to pick our own lavender, what kind of music we want and how many different cheeses we should offer.
These are two huge transitions happening in my life at the same time. I’m happy and eagerly anticipating these changes. But, I have moments where I feel frantic. I get really irritated at Ben for minuscule things and find myself holding back tears because I’m so embarrassed and frustrated by the ridiculous things upsetting me. All of the details of moving my office and planning a wedding overwhelm me and I feel small and vulnerable.
One of the things that God has me working on is learning how to run into the love of God when I feel afraid. I find that my tendency in these situations is to exert my strength through increasing my control over people and circumstances. Unfortunately, this only serves to increase my anxiety, which demands greater control. About the time that I’m having trouble breathing deeply, calming racing thoughts and relaxing the muscles in my head, neck and shoulders, I realize that fear and control have made a prisoner out of me. When I cry out to God to come and rescue me, He does. Every time. But, I want to do better than that. I want to let God teach me to run to Him when I’m afraid instead of exerting my control. I want to let His perfect love drive out all my fears and calm down my soul.
Let me be honest. This is happening on a daily basis right now. It’s happened at least 3 times today that I can think of. I’m afraid and my brain starts analyzing how I can fix my problem. Fortunately, the Holy Spirit has been gently, but firmly encouraging me to run to God instead of running my brain. I’m discovering that God’s peace is possible, even in the midst of crazy amounts of life transition.
Still Counting Gifts:
·         #791: Huge, white, fluffy clouds posed beautifully in the sky
·         #792: A full day of sun after 6 days of torrential rain
·         #793: God’s provision of beautiful weather for Karyn’s wedding in the midst of all that rain
·         #794: Delightful visits with extended family and good friends
·         #795: Painting with Ben
·         #796: Grace to finish well
·         #797: New beginnings
·         #798: Carrot cake
·         #799: I finally got my real ring and I love it!
·         #800: Watching Lily swim in our back yard when it was full of rain water
·         #801: Dinner with mom and Ava
·         #802: Blogging from home for a change
·         #803: We really are making progress on wedding planning
·         #804: Supernatural strength and wisdom for challenging work situations

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves. This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank. I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice. While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition. I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC. Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. Th

How do I like being married?

People keep asking me how I like being married. I get it. I’m adjusting to a major life transition. People are excited for me and this is an easy way for them to enter into my joy. They ask this question and I start gushing. I say that I love it. It’s wonderful. Yes, we’re settling in well, there in the basement of my parents house. I may mention that Ben has been hanging things in our room and brought furniture out of storage to make our space more like home. If the conversation lasts long enough and becomes more intimate, I may even tell them that some of my favorite things are when we pray together in the morning and he makes me coffee to help me wake up. I like when we fall asleep with hands and toes just barely touching; in our space, but still nearby. I like calling him my husband and hearing him say that I’m his wife. Being married has been wonderfully different and also surprisingly the same. My life at work, for example, feels exactly like it did before I w

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me.