This is the time of year where people make resolutions and set goals for the New Year. I am not one who usually follows this trend.
But, I was intrigued when I read that Ann Voskamp, one of my favorite bloggers, picks a word for each year to give it a theme and a focus. http://www.aholyexperience.com/2012/01/what-the-new-year-needs-most/
I wanted to try it, but then started putting all kinds of pressure on myself to come up with just the right word for this year. And, I have no idea what this year will hold, so the task feels that much harder.
I had almost abandoned the idea until I was talking with God while I was driving to work yesterday. I was reflecting on some of the things that had been stirred up in my heart by the OneThing 2012 conference. On two separate occasions, I recognized gaps in my friendship with God because I do not take time to really pray for those things that are on His heart. This caused me to start evaluating my friendship toward Him in general.
I realized that I am constantly pouring out my heart to Him, reminding Him of what I want and need, and asking Him to listen and do things for me. I spent much less time listening to His prayers, dreams and desires. Jesus is my constant advocate before the Father, but I rarely petition God for the unfulfilled dreams of Jesus' heart.
In 2013, I want to grow in deeper friendship with God. I want to cultivate more of a two-sided relationship. I want to spend more time listening to what Jesus is thinking and feeling and pray with Him for the desires of His heart to be made manifest on earth as they are in heaven.
No sooner have I determined this and I am discovering opportunities. The client at work who exposes all of my inadequacies is one that I would rather not see. But, God tells me that He loves this person deeply and wants us to spend time with them. So, I purpose in my heart to see this client in partnership with Jesus because He is my friend and He desires to be with that person. I'm putting reminders in my schedule to pray for things that I know Jesus desires. I'm asking God for feedback in our friendship and that He will take it deeper this year.
I'm careful to tell myself, here, at the beginning, that perfect friendship with God is not possible this side of heaven. But, I also want to get as close as I can to the One who loves me best.
Still Counting Gifts:
- #666: My Nespresso Aeroccino 3 and how wonderfully it froths milk for cappuccino's when I'm desperately trying to get my eyes to open and my body to awaken
- #667: Karyn working from home today and making crêpes for breakfast
- #668: Chatting with God during my morning drive
- #669: How His presence really does give me peace, even in the midst of challenging situations
- #670: Difficult clients who make it so clear that I can't do the work of counseling without God
- #671: Faith, with all its fragility and boldness
- #672: Philippians 3:12-14
- #673: The details of life and how they demand maintenance
- #674: God's provision in unexpected and inconvenient ways