Skip to main content

2 books that have been a gift to me this week


A Million Little Ways, by Emily P. Freeman, is one that has been working on me for a few weeks now. The main premise is that we are all made to create art because we are made in God's image. This isn't necessarily art as we tend to think of it. It is more the idea that who we are and all that we do is art in the unique expression of who God has made us to be.

This book has been coaxing me into exploring art that I had previously ruled out, for various reasons. I decided to start piano lessons after a decade away so that I can finally learn how to play worship music by chords. I am starting to think that the extra time I have been finding in my schedule because I am seeing fewer clients might be a gift from God so that I can read, think and write. God seems to be offering me space to rediscover abandoned dreams and cultivate my creative interests. I'm not your typical art kid and my creativity has always felt more internal than expressive, but I'm want to allow my understanding of my strength, gifts and calling to expand as I connect with God and learn more about who He has created me to be.

The chapter I finished this week explored Psalm 46:10 in a new way for me. "Fail and know that I am God." Emily suggests that it may be in our failures where we find opportunities to know God more. Failures are usually devastating for me; even small ones. So the idea that my failure is actually a gift so that I can experience God more intimately was so encouraging and reassuring.

Becoming Myself, by Staci Eldredge, was given to me just this week. I started reading it when I had a cancellation and have been startled by how it has already impacted me. Twice, I have felt completely undone and found myself crying. This book is about transformation and how it is always rooted in the incredible love of God. We change from the inside out as we encounter His love.

Chapter 2 is about our life stories and how we understand them. Staci offers simple questions to facilitate reflection throughout the book. Rule-follower that I am, I force myself to consider each one. As a result, I have discovered that a core fear I have is that I am not enjoyable. I know that people enjoy me, but I fear that it is because of what I do and not who I am. God is exposing this lie and affirming that He and others enjoy me, as myself, and not for anything external that I offer.

Ben has referred to these as "sister-books" because of how God is using them, in tandem, to connect with me and bless my heart. I am a little apprehensive because God is doing yet another deep and somewhat painful work in me. But, I am mostly excited by how He is lavishing His love on me and healing my heart so that I can connect more with Him, which gives me such joy and peace.

How is God blessing you this week?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves. This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank. I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice. While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition. I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC. Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. Th

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me.

How do I like being married?

People keep asking me how I like being married. I get it. I’m adjusting to a major life transition. People are excited for me and this is an easy way for them to enter into my joy. They ask this question and I start gushing. I say that I love it. It’s wonderful. Yes, we’re settling in well, there in the basement of my parents house. I may mention that Ben has been hanging things in our room and brought furniture out of storage to make our space more like home. If the conversation lasts long enough and becomes more intimate, I may even tell them that some of my favorite things are when we pray together in the morning and he makes me coffee to help me wake up. I like when we fall asleep with hands and toes just barely touching; in our space, but still nearby. I like calling him my husband and hearing him say that I’m his wife. Being married has been wonderfully different and also surprisingly the same. My life at work, for example, feels exactly like it did before I w