Skip to main content

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves.

This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank.



I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice.

While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition.

I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC.

Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. They are piling up in the living room and store room until we can decide how to set up our home.

We are working and reworking our schedules: work, House of Prayer, cooking, working out, church and time with friends. How much time do we invest into each of these areas? When do we say "Yes" and when do we say "No"? What is really important to each one of us and how do we support each other in those things? What does our life look like now that we are married?

I am really struggling in this transition. More than I thought that I would be.

I would like to blame this on the fact that I have basically been in transition for the past two years and I'm sick of it. I'm tired of everything changing and constantly having to adapt.

But, I actually think that it's more than that. Change is hard. For everyone. Including me.

I returned to Centre College in Danville, KY for my 10 year reunion at the beginning of November. It was SO fun to be back and reconnect with good friends. It was also powerful to remember all that God has done since then. A lot has changed in the past 10 years and I struggled to accommodate then as I am now. But, I can also look back and see how those seasons of change helped me to lean into my Beloved God and how that posture of dependence on Him produced such great growth within me.

I don't like transition and how it pulls at me and wears me down. I do like being conformed to the image of Christ and I believe that God uses transition to do that. I hope that I transition quickly, but I choose to trust in God for my joy and help until it's done.


Still Counting Gifts:

#896: A wonderful reunion
#897: Hours of conversation
#898: Beautiful fall colors in Kentucky
#899: Thin mint coffee creamer
#900: Self time-outs in my bed
#901: We finally got our YMCA membership
#902: New clients
#903: Running with Karyn and how she let me walk when I needed to
#904: Sibling bonfire in my parents backyard
#905: First snow
#906: Grace in my weakness
#907: A relaxing bath, with jets, and Real Simple
#908: Working at communication
#909: Forgiveness
#910: Pomegranate seeds in my oatmeal
#911: Ben makes me coffee in the morning
#912: Butter Chicken Curry paste
#913: Patience in others when I am struggling

Comments

  1. Jody-- love your updates. I see on here "YMCA"-- I teach the 9:00 a.m. pilates at the IDP (downtown) on Wednesdays. I'd love to see you there. It is in the Sundstrand gym.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me....

Heart Revival

Hey you guys, It's been almost two years since my last post. What?! I know some of you probably forgot that I even used to do this, but I hope that you're as excited as I am that I'm coming back to blogging. It's a new season and God has been stirring up lots of creativity and courage in me recently. I'm happy to tell you all about it. In case you missed it, I became a mom to sweet Elias last summer. In fact, he is about to turn 1 year old on Monday and I can't believe it! Guys, he is absolutely the sweetest, calmest and most delightful baby you can ever imagine and I still tear up sometimes in gratitude when I remember that he is my little boy. One of my life dreams to be a stay-at-home mama has been partially fulfilled in that I only work three days a week during the school year. I work 2 1/2 days at RCS Elementary School and it is an amazing place. Shortly after I got there, they put me in charge of the two chapel services that happen each week. Gu...
Dear Me at 16, First, take a deep breath and try to relax. You're not receiving this letter because you are bad or in trouble. To the contrary, I'm writing to you because I care about you and I know that it's hard for you to let others be caring toward you. You feel exposed and vulnerable, wondering if the person will stumble across all those imperfections that you work so hard to hide. You feel afraid of how they might judge you if they knew how needy, fragile and broken you actually are behind your put-together facade. I want to let you know that it's not your fault that you are this way. At least, it's not entirely your fault. Your desire to encourage and help other people is a wonderful, God-given part of your personality that influences you to put yourself in the position of helper. And this is an important part of how God has made you because it relates to the high calling that He has placed on your life to partner with Him in restoring people. Being t...