Skip to main content

Withholding

I just did my taxes and I have been thinking about withholding. We determine how much money should be taken out of each paycheck in order to pay our taxes. If you withhold a lot, then less money is taken out and you may have to pay taxes at the end of the year. If you withhold only a little or nothing, you may find that you receive a refund at the end of the year. I confess that I find it really exciting to get a chunk of money in the form of a refund. So, I usually choose zero withholding, even though I know that it would probably be more helpful to have a little extra money to add to my monthly budget.

But, what on earth does this have to do with pursuing love? Well, I have discovered that I often withhold when I feel afraid. That is to say, when I feel afraid, I sometimes choose to withhold myself, my feelings, and my thoughts from other people. When I fear loss, disappointment, hurt or sadness, it feels safer to disconnect myself from the situation. I think I'm hoping that this will protect my joy, my peace, and my security. I will receive them, like a tax refund, at the end of my painful situation if I withhold all of myself while I am going through it. Sometimes my withholding is so extreme that I avoid the situation all together. I don't go to a place where painful feelings may be triggered and I don't interact with people whose interactions may be provoking. Other times, I remain physically present, but I am usually absent emotionally. The real "me" remains hidden from reach for my protection. Or, so I think.

Unfortunately, I have realized that the "me" refund is never as big as I think it will be from my withholding. And, my eyes are beginning to be opened to the understanding that when I withhold myself, though I may successfully avoid some painful experiences, there is an even greater risk that I will miss out on receiving love from God and other people in the midst of those circumstances. In those moments that I have been able to imagine God taking my hand in His and walking me through a scary situation, I almost always find that I enjoy His nearness in a special way and that He facilitates tender connection with the other people involved. On those occasions where God has given me courage in the face of my fears and I have been able to tell the people around me how I am feeling and what I fear, I have experienced such compassion, gentleness and generosity from others. The love and joy I received from those encounters far surpassed any painful feelings that I experienced!

There is NO fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love. 1 John 4:18

I choose to withhold myself when I fear punishment through the experience of uncomfortable feelings. But, Praise God, there is no fear in love!

God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this, love is perfected with us… 1 John 4:16-17

I don't want to withhold myself anymore because of fear. I want love to be perfected within me. So, I'm choosing to abide in God and in His love. Please God, cast out all my fears and help me to stop withholding.

Comments

  1. Wow! When the Lord speaks He shouts; at least, to those whom have an ear to hear. I keep hearing this over and over again everywhere I turn; in my head, in my bible, in sermons, in messages, in my own writing and prayers. The Lord is telling us to abide in love, or so it would seem. Fear is the enemy of faith. Loved reading this!!! Amen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you keep writing jody you are amazing, ever since i got to know during fire in the night, i know without a doubt you are an amazing woman of god.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me....

Heart Revival

Hey you guys, It's been almost two years since my last post. What?! I know some of you probably forgot that I even used to do this, but I hope that you're as excited as I am that I'm coming back to blogging. It's a new season and God has been stirring up lots of creativity and courage in me recently. I'm happy to tell you all about it. In case you missed it, I became a mom to sweet Elias last summer. In fact, he is about to turn 1 year old on Monday and I can't believe it! Guys, he is absolutely the sweetest, calmest and most delightful baby you can ever imagine and I still tear up sometimes in gratitude when I remember that he is my little boy. One of my life dreams to be a stay-at-home mama has been partially fulfilled in that I only work three days a week during the school year. I work 2 1/2 days at RCS Elementary School and it is an amazing place. Shortly after I got there, they put me in charge of the two chapel services that happen each week. Gu...
Dear Me at 16, First, take a deep breath and try to relax. You're not receiving this letter because you are bad or in trouble. To the contrary, I'm writing to you because I care about you and I know that it's hard for you to let others be caring toward you. You feel exposed and vulnerable, wondering if the person will stumble across all those imperfections that you work so hard to hide. You feel afraid of how they might judge you if they knew how needy, fragile and broken you actually are behind your put-together facade. I want to let you know that it's not your fault that you are this way. At least, it's not entirely your fault. Your desire to encourage and help other people is a wonderful, God-given part of your personality that influences you to put yourself in the position of helper. And this is an important part of how God has made you because it relates to the high calling that He has placed on your life to partner with Him in restoring people. Being t...