Skip to main content

Confession: I'm Dating

I’m sitting in the prayer room, singing along to the chorus, “Catch me up in your story, all my life for your glory.” At the same time, I’m reading today’s devotional from Jesus Calling and meditating on the Scripture at the bottom of the page:

And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus…Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. –Philippians 4:19, 6-7
I’ve been asking God, since yesterday, to inspire me with some blog idea for my friendship with God theme. (I want to try to and write something about this every Thursday this year.) But, I haven’t gotten anything. And, what I am getting is that I should write about how I’m dating and what God has been doing.

First, I want to explain why I haven’t written about this yet. It was a complete surprise that just about knocked me off of my feet at the beginning of December. I have needed time and space to adjust to this new relationship. It was too new for me to explain to myself much less to write about it. And, I wanted to treasure the whole process in my heart for a while before inviting other people into it.
About a week ago, I started feeling ready to write and share, but fear has held me back. You see, I have never dated before and I’m really afraid to do it wrong. I’m also afraid to have people like you think that I’m doing it wrong because then I would have to face your judgment and being bad at dating. So, I have just avoided writing about it and even telling people about it.
When I was singing, “Catch me up in your story, all my life for your glory” and thinking about friendship with God, I felt Him ask if I think that my dating is part of His story. And, I told Him that I do. (Ben is a completely amazing guy who I first met at the house of prayer. He is passionately pursuing relationship with God and I believe that God has brought us into relationship with one another very intentionally for His good pleasure and purposes.) Then, I felt God ask why I am anxious about sharing my relationship with others. My response: fear of man.

I feel God inviting me to step out in faith. Instead of caving into the fear of man and rejection and hiding my news, I want to believe that God is leading me in this new season of my life and that I can share this information. I want to enjoy the exciting adventure that I’m on and stop censoring myself at every step out of fear of what other people think. I want to share with those of you who have been praying for me for years and want to rejoice with me. And, even if some of you have thoughts and feelings about how I’m dating and the process that God has me in, I’m going to ask Him to help me be brave enough to hear your feedback and process it with Him before I panic and assume that I’m doing everything wrong. I’m going to accept that I will not be perfect in this process and that God will lovingly lead me.
So, now you have it from me: I am officially dating. And, I’m really happy and thankful.

Still Counting Gifts:
·         #674: That God really does do far abundantly, beyond all that I can ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20)
·         #675: My last client cancelled and I got to go home for dinner with my family
·         #676: How God is bringing me into deep companionship with Him
·         #677: My new mug and how it’s the perfect shape
·         #678: Hair fun with Chrissy
·         #679: Singing God Bless America at Rotary Club
·         #680: Ghirardelli dark chocolate brownies

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves. This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank. I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice. While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition. I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC. Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. Th

How do I like being married?

People keep asking me how I like being married. I get it. I’m adjusting to a major life transition. People are excited for me and this is an easy way for them to enter into my joy. They ask this question and I start gushing. I say that I love it. It’s wonderful. Yes, we’re settling in well, there in the basement of my parents house. I may mention that Ben has been hanging things in our room and brought furniture out of storage to make our space more like home. If the conversation lasts long enough and becomes more intimate, I may even tell them that some of my favorite things are when we pray together in the morning and he makes me coffee to help me wake up. I like when we fall asleep with hands and toes just barely touching; in our space, but still nearby. I like calling him my husband and hearing him say that I’m his wife. Being married has been wonderfully different and also surprisingly the same. My life at work, for example, feels exactly like it did before I w

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me.