Skip to main content

Immanuel – God is with us



This is the season where we anticipate God's coming to live with men through the birth of Jesus.

From the beginning of creation, God has desired intimate relationship with man and woman. He walked with them and talked with them in the cool of the day in Genesis 3.

At the end of time, the events of this present age will culminate in God coming to dwell with us on the earth.

And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them. Revelation 21:3

I have been thinking about what it means to live as though I believe that God is with me. This seems especially important given events like the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting and people experiencing terror and the devastation of grief. It feels important as I talk with people in my office about their pain and suffering and how they can connect with God when their feelings are so intense and ugly. I feel more desperate for God to be with me when I experience shock, disappointment, pain, rejection or loss. I think that this is fairly normal.

But, I think that it is just as important to consider how God is with me when things are going well. As I look forward to having time off of work to rest and play with my family, I want to continue to intentionally pursue God as Immanuel, the God who wants to be with me. I want to share with Him my joys and celebrations as much as my hurts and fears. I want to celebrate God as Immanuel in every season, situation and feeling. I want to learn to live my life in deep partnership with God and to let Him tabernacle with me.

I long for the day when Jesus will be on the throne of the earth in Jerusalem and Father God will come to live with us here, on a refashioned planet. I want to start practicing for that kind of closeness today.

Still Counting Gifts:
  • #659: 3 more days of work before I am off for Christmas break
  • #660: A quiet morning at home
  • #661: How God quiets me with His love and makes me still when I think on Him
  • #662: An office nap yesterday afternoon
  • #663: My beautiful and cozy scarf gift
  • #664: How God teaches me and helps me to steward every feeling well
  • #665: The ability to receive today and each day as its own gift without worrying about tomorrow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves. This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank. I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice. While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition. I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC. Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. Th

How do I like being married?

People keep asking me how I like being married. I get it. I’m adjusting to a major life transition. People are excited for me and this is an easy way for them to enter into my joy. They ask this question and I start gushing. I say that I love it. It’s wonderful. Yes, we’re settling in well, there in the basement of my parents house. I may mention that Ben has been hanging things in our room and brought furniture out of storage to make our space more like home. If the conversation lasts long enough and becomes more intimate, I may even tell them that some of my favorite things are when we pray together in the morning and he makes me coffee to help me wake up. I like when we fall asleep with hands and toes just barely touching; in our space, but still nearby. I like calling him my husband and hearing him say that I’m his wife. Being married has been wonderfully different and also surprisingly the same. My life at work, for example, feels exactly like it did before I w

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me.