Skip to main content

31Days to Keep a Tender Heart: October 10

 
I’m preparing to speak on gratitude this weekend, so I thought that I would take the next few days to write some of what I am thinking and preparing.
Now the LORD saw that Leah was unloved, and He opened her womb, but Rachel was barren. Leah conceived and bore a son and named him Reuben, for she said, “Because the LORD has seen my affliction; surely now my husband will love me.” Then she conceived again and bore a son and said, “Because the LORD has heard that I am unloved, He has therefore given me this son also.” So she named him Simeon. She conceived again and bore a son and said, “Now this time my husband will become attached to me, because I have borne him three sons.” Therefore he was named Levi. And she conceived again and bore a son and said, “This time I will praise the LORD.” Therefore she named him Judah Then she stopped bearing. Genesis 29: 31-35
I wonder what it was like to be Leah. She shared a husband with her sister and she was unloved by him. To me, this would be a terrible, unbearable situation. The LORD begins to bless Leah with sons. The way that she names them suggests to me that she was suffering profoundly and had become completely focused on earning her husband’s love as a way out of her misery. With each one, I hear hope in Leah’s voice. Maybe with this child, my husband will love me. Maybe the birth of this son will give me what I desire.
Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Psalm 127:3
I wonder if it was hard for Leah to receive her gift of children from the LORD because of her deep hurt from her husband’s rejection and her unfulfilled longing to be loved. I know that I often have a hard time celebrating God’s gifts to me when I am preoccupied by what He has not given me. It must have been miserable for her to see Jacob’s love for her sister Rachel on a daily basis. I can only imagine how hard it would have been for Leah to intentionally choose to praise God despite her painful circumstances. But, this is exactly what seems to happen with the birth of her fourth son.
“This time I will praise the LORD”, said Leah. Something significant must have shifted in Leah between Levi’s birth and Judah’s birth. She does not reference her husband or being unloved. She declares that she will praise the LORD. This is important in and of itself, but I think that it also reflects that she was finally able to receive her children as her gift from the LORD in that season.
I think that Leah is a good Biblical example of how to rejoice in the LORD in all things and how practicing gratitude can transform a person.
Still counting gifts:
·         #510: Blue skies and puffy white clouds
·         #511: Mike Bickle’s study of the book of Zechariah to start my day
·         #512: Discovering that Joel Rosenberg has a blog
·         #513: How God keeps inviting me into His deeper, secret work in the hearts of man    
·         #514: Sharing a glass of dry, red wine with my dad while we talk

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves. This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank. I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice. While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition. I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC. Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. Th

How do I like being married?

People keep asking me how I like being married. I get it. I’m adjusting to a major life transition. People are excited for me and this is an easy way for them to enter into my joy. They ask this question and I start gushing. I say that I love it. It’s wonderful. Yes, we’re settling in well, there in the basement of my parents house. I may mention that Ben has been hanging things in our room and brought furniture out of storage to make our space more like home. If the conversation lasts long enough and becomes more intimate, I may even tell them that some of my favorite things are when we pray together in the morning and he makes me coffee to help me wake up. I like when we fall asleep with hands and toes just barely touching; in our space, but still nearby. I like calling him my husband and hearing him say that I’m his wife. Being married has been wonderfully different and also surprisingly the same. My life at work, for example, feels exactly like it did before I w

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me.