Skip to main content

31 Days to Keep a Tender Heart: October 22

 
Yesterday, my sister and I had one of those rare moments where it’s just the two of us and we get to talk for an uninterrupted period of time.
It was wonderful and I delighted in every second of it.
Karyn is one of my best and safest friends, but I still get nervous when I want to be real with her. I was telling her some of my thoughts and feelings that have been provoked by reading Grace for the Good Girl. I started telling her about some of the terrible things my “good girl” says to me when I’ve done something that I should not do. She looked at me with a mixture of surprise and compassion as she said, “Wow, that’s what it’s like in your brain?” It was interesting and helpful for me to see how my perspective looks to her and to hear her perspective on me.
Karyn went on to share with me some of what she is struggling with and I got to share my perspective with her.
Somewhere in this refreshing and authentic exchange, I told Karyn that I really want to offer what we were experiencing to other women. So much of what we think and feel remains hidden behind our exterior “everything is fine” appearance. We don’t realize that other women are also hurting and struggling and we don’t share with other women when we are. Some of us do share these things, but these occasions are the rare exception rather than the rule.
I’m going to challenge myself to share more authentically with the women in my life, especially when I’m struggling. I’m also going to challenge myself to invite women to share more authentically with me when they are struggling. I invite you to join me.
Still Counting Gifts:
·         #576: My first run in over a week
·         #577: A quiet house to myself this morning
·         #578: Coffee with Jesus
·         #579: Catching part of a Jon Thurlow watch at IHOP-KC online from the prayer room
·         #580: Time to run errands
·         #581: That all my car needed was gas when it broke down yesterday
·         #582: How God kept speaking to me as He was speaking to my clients through me today
·         #583: More time with Jesus at the prayer room
·         #584: Finding time to take care of life details
·         #585: Another Sunday night bonfire in my backyard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves. This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank. I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice. While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition. I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC. Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. Th

How do I like being married?

People keep asking me how I like being married. I get it. I’m adjusting to a major life transition. People are excited for me and this is an easy way for them to enter into my joy. They ask this question and I start gushing. I say that I love it. It’s wonderful. Yes, we’re settling in well, there in the basement of my parents house. I may mention that Ben has been hanging things in our room and brought furniture out of storage to make our space more like home. If the conversation lasts long enough and becomes more intimate, I may even tell them that some of my favorite things are when we pray together in the morning and he makes me coffee to help me wake up. I like when we fall asleep with hands and toes just barely touching; in our space, but still nearby. I like calling him my husband and hearing him say that I’m his wife. Being married has been wonderfully different and also surprisingly the same. My life at work, for example, feels exactly like it did before I w

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me.