Skip to main content

31 Days to Keep a Tender Heart: October 13

 
It’s raining outside. I can see the drops pouring down against the tree line and the windows in the sun room. I’m starting my second cup of coffee and finalizing what I am going to say at church tonight.
I’m good at talking, but teaching is different, especially when I am writing the lesson.
As you may have imagined, if you’ve been getting to know me, I want it to be perfect. This involves putting a tremendous amount of pressure on me to prepare well so that I can say just the right thing. Perfectionism is exhausting, so it also involves an apathy component. When I have worn myself right out with my impossible expectations and failing to achieve them, I tell myself that it doesn’t really matter and I can just wing it. I attack the value of my task rather than my unreasonable demands.
I’m pretty sick and tired of that yucky cycle and I’ve been asking God to teach me how to do this differently. I have taken time to prepare and I have worked through the feelings that have come up along the way. I’ve been praying over my message tonight and asking God to give me the words that He wants me to say. I have asked Him to give me His heart of compassion for my audience and His thoughts and feelings toward them.  I have had lots of ideas swirling around in my head and I am paying attention to the ones that God keeps highlighting.
I think that my two main goals are to share my story of counting gifts and to encourage people who are suffering that they can find true joy in God, regardless of their circumstances. I know that I am going to have to at least mention my struggle with singleness. I really don’t want to, but it is part of my experience of suffering and I want people to have access to the reality of the painful feelings that I wrestle with. I want them to encounter a real part of me so that it will be easier for them to respond to what I have to say about finding joy in Christ through the practice of gratitude.
I really want people who are hurting to encounter God tonight. I want them to experience true hope that their feelings can change even if their troubling circumstances don’t. I want them to know that they are not alone and Jesus is always more than enough to satisfy our hearts.
If you are going to be in the Rockford area tonight and you are interested in coming, then I will be speaking at Forest City Fellowship. The address is 1300 17th Street, Rockford, IL 61104 and the service starts at 6:30 PM. If you cannot attend, then can I please ask you to pray for me? I would appreciate that.
Still Counting Gifts:
·         #524: Sleeping in
·         #525: Breakfast with the family
·         #526: When everyone leaves and I have time and quiet
·         #527: Space for my thoughts and how helpful chunks of time alone are for my spirit (I have to remember this and build it into my schedule as a love gift for me.)
·         #528: A babysitting sleepover with my beloved squishee’s Noah and Kingston

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transition

 It's snowing outside my window. It just started to stick a little bit. I can see it on the trees and covering the leaves. This is the first snow of the season. It means change is coming. Fall coats are no longer be sufficient. Hats, scarves and gloves become a part of my daily wardrobe. My car needs time to warm up and I should fill up with gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank. I really like this time of year. Fall is ending and winter is coming. I like snuggling in front of a fire and wearing sweaters. I like drinking hot chocolate, apple cider and spice tea, in addition to my usual coffee consumption. I like Thanksgiving, the holiday and the practice. While I welcome this change in season, I am so aware of how I am struggling in my own transition. I have spent several hours contacting insurance companies to change my name now that I am doing business as Jody Striker, LCPC. Ben is still collecting our things from the various places where we have been storing them. Th

How do I like being married?

People keep asking me how I like being married. I get it. I’m adjusting to a major life transition. People are excited for me and this is an easy way for them to enter into my joy. They ask this question and I start gushing. I say that I love it. It’s wonderful. Yes, we’re settling in well, there in the basement of my parents house. I may mention that Ben has been hanging things in our room and brought furniture out of storage to make our space more like home. If the conversation lasts long enough and becomes more intimate, I may even tell them that some of my favorite things are when we pray together in the morning and he makes me coffee to help me wake up. I like when we fall asleep with hands and toes just barely touching; in our space, but still nearby. I like calling him my husband and hearing him say that I’m his wife. Being married has been wonderfully different and also surprisingly the same. My life at work, for example, feels exactly like it did before I w

3 weeks ago today

I got married three weeks ago today. I’ve been thinking a lot about our wedding since that day. This was my first week back to work, which meant that I got to talk a lot about that day and show pictures, because everything is still fresh and new and people are anxious to know how it went. I have missed writing. Several times during our honeymoon, I almost grabbed my laptop because I had the urge to write. I never did, but I wanted to. I think that it felt too intimate to record in some ways. And, in others, I was just enjoying being lazy and carefree. I plan to write about what I remember from my wedding. (Maybe even some things from our honeymoon. We shall see…) I don’t know what I will share, but I want to make a record of my memories and experiences from that day. Just three weeks later, but the feelings are less vivid and the mental pictures are less crisp. Fortunately, our photographer did an amazing job and I am thankful that I have those images to remind me.